27 June 2008

Friday Five: Summer Reading

Songbird sez:

Back in the day, before I went to seminary, I worked in the Children's Room at the Public Library, and every year we geared up for Summer Reading. Children would come in and record the books read over the summer, and the season included numerous special and celebratory events. As a lifelong book lover and enthusiastic summer reader, I find I still accumulate a pile of books for the summer.

This week, then, a Summer Reading Friday Five.

My responses below:

1) Do you think of summer as a particularly good season for reading? Why or why not?

Surprisingly... under normal circumstances, no. Mind you, I'm unemployed so far this year--but I have had no time for reading. Too much else is going on... but realistically speaking, I haven't thought of summer as "reading time" since I graduated from High School. Winter is when I usually catch up, unless one of my favourite authors puts out a book--or a new volume comes out of a manga I'm reading. :)

2) Have you ever fallen asleep reading on the beach?

Yes. Sunburn is not the friend of people with ancestors from Northern Europe. Oww...

3) Can you recall a favorite childhood book read in the summertime?

Probably something by Tolkien... though I had a habit, even back then, of reading and re-reading favourite books--among them Rumer Godden's China Court. What a luminous piece of work....

4) Do you have a favorite genre for light or relaxing reading?

What is this "relaxing" of which you speak?? :)

If it's light reading, it's Manga. Right now I'm breathlessly awaiting Volume 5 of
Le Chevalier D'Eon.

5) What is the next book on your reading list?

Besides the above? Hmmm... probably something in German or Icelandic, as I am trying to learn those languages.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a challenge you've undertaken! My 17-year-old is learning Korean, which is also some work.